Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My reflection upon my english 111 experience. I can start off by saying when I walked into the classroom, I thought it was going to be an ordinary boring English class, learning pronouns, verbs, compound and fragment sentences and writing a lot of essays. Well, it wasn’t that way at all, this class actually turned out to be very interesting. If I didn’t need this English class, I might have dropped out of it because it was a little different, as students, we get used to the same ol’ routine of classes over and over, so when we are approach with something new, we do not know what to expect. But since I needed this class, I said to myself let me stay here because this is a subject that I’m going to always use and need in the English language. I always try and take the easy way out of situaion that I’m not comfortable in. The syllabus was handed to me with all the work that I had to complete in this class and additional instructions by the instructor, when I heard what I was going to do I wanted to leave. The works that he wanted us to analyze, I was not interested in, but when it comes to learning there are going to be things that you’re not going to like but have to deal with it. At first, the class was boring to me,but that is what I expected and did not want. Eventually, I stayed and I learned a lot of new techniques such as “rhetoric”, using the rhetorical triangle, was very good in organizing your essays, in which you can use it as an outline to gather all of the important information that you need. Also we analyzed films and movies by gathering all the important clues, “I think I might look at movies a little differently now.” I let my guard down and tried to enjoy the class that I knew I needed. The nights were long and boring but at the end of this class, I knew that I learned a new way of thinking and writing and also how to improve my essays. I learned a lot of things in this class that I didn’t think would of benefited me at all. I asked myself, why are we doing these type of work? We had a lot of essays to finish in a certain amount of time, with these essays, one particular, I Am essay…, I really learned a lot about myself because we were encouraged to put our feelings down on paper in any form, that we are sometimes scared to do. But in the end, we were not analyzing films and movies and looking at strange articles and sciene fiction works for nothing, it was a purpose behind all the things we were doing in class. With the valuable knowledge of this instructor, I consider this to be a very good class if your interesting in becoming a journalist or an editor, or wanting to improve your writing skils.

1 comment:

Paul G. said...

I got scared a few times. I thought you were going to say it was all mostly useless. ;-)